I am deputy director of ADVANCE at UNM, a NSF-funded program to promote women and minority STEM faculty.
Our goals for this five-year project are to:
1) create a more inclusive, egalitarian, and supportive institutional climate;
2) increase the participation of women, particularly minority women, STEM faculty in leadership positions;
3) improve satisfaction with, and perceptions of fairness of, the tenure and promotion process among women, and especially minority women, STEM faculty;
4) increase the number of women, particularly minority women, at all levels in STEM departments;
5) increase the national and international recognition of scholarship by all women STEM faculty at UNM.
Our program is based on Frank Dobbin and Alexandra Kalev’s “managerial engagement” model of organizational change toward diversity. You can read more about their work in the Harvard Business Review and the American Sociological Review.